Garry Bentham is an artist and designer who can transform your vacant building lot into a home and garden that is as unique as you are.
- This waterfront home with dramatic Cape Cod exterior features main level living with massive art studio over 4 car garage plus tons of parking
- Use of steep-pitched roofing creates major vaulting on the inside
- Steep-pitched, engineered vaulting on the inside provides larger windows to enjoy the view of the ocean and Lasqueti Island
- Over-sized island with 4' skylight illuminates this fabulous kitchen with an abundance of custom-designed cabinets
- The open floor plan paved the way for the creation of an over-sized dining room to accommodate the clients' large dining table and china cabinet
- Would you believe this 1500 sq.ft. home is built on a lot of only 3500 sq.ft.? Creative interpretation of the BC Building Code, using closed soffits and sprinkler system, permitted a wider building envelope and the creation of a unique floor plan design
- The coffered ceiling with dramatic lighting is a beautiful addition to the main living area
- Direct access to the outdoor living compliments the open kitchen/dining/living room experience
- The custom-designed 7' high windows and extra-large glass doors provide lots of light and blend interior living with the outdoor experience
- There is abundant outdoor living in this compact rear yard featuring dramatic landscaping for private, outside living
- This 2300 sq.ft. rancher situated on 20 acres is unique with its organic timber frame entry and extra wide walkways
- An extra-large covered patio provides year-round outdoor living in a dramatic setting
- The over-sized interior rooms were custom-designed with the client’s large furniture and grand piano in mind. The 10’ coffered ceiling in the living room was a special request in order that the family tradition of an over-sized Christmas tree can continue.
- This 2000 sqft rancher was designed to current sea level rise flood control regulations
- This custom-designed home with master bedroom on the main floor features vaulted ceilings and large dormer over the garage which accommodates two bedrooms plus a family room on the second floor
- The creative use of dormers and covered 10' verandas on both sides add space to this barrier-free home
- Although restricted by a narrow lot, the creative floor plan design resulted in a spacious, two floor home.
- The small building envelope on this steep-bank waterfront lot provided the opportunity for a custom-designed, two level home of 2400 sq.ft. with large covered deck on the main floor and a large open patio on the lower level
Your master plan might include a legal suite, a separate cottage/studio or a detached garage with workshop. Garry sees these as opportunities to be creative, without compromising the integrity of your project. He has designed everything from little cottages to 6000 square feet waterfront estates.
Garry’s survey experience allows him to take his own preliminary grades in order that the design of the home will work with all elevations on the lot. This ensures he is maximizing the space allotted while staying within budget.
Garry has worked in all aspects of the construction industry including construction estimating; he knows what the costs of all trades should be and will design within your budget.
Re-sale value is important; Garry has over 30 years of experience selling real estate, thus ensuring that your design will meet the needs of future buyers.
Your home worked well in the past, however now you are ready for change. Village design & drafting can assist you with residential additions and renovations to your existing home. Garry is brilliant at creating modern and fully functional floor plans and exterior aesthetics, as well as ingenious additions to your existing home that will perfectly integrate with your current lifestyle.
- A dramatic timber frame entry welcomes friends & family
- Impressive landscaping heightens the impact of this home's elaborate renovation
- Walls removed and ceilings vaulted for an exciting open concept design
- An older modular home on an exceptionally beautiful waterfront lot needed a complete redesign and an addition
- The same home is now classy and comfortable, befitting of its amazing waterfront location
- A wall of windows, beautiful patio and organic landscaping combine to intensify the enjoyment of living next to the ocean
- creative stair design (with decks) for a 50' property rise
- A re-design and extension of a front entry provides a vaulted cover and over-sized front door with double side lights
Do you have an old shed on your property? Garry can turn it into a functional office space that will double as a guest house at a moment’s notice.
Garry works with you to design a new look that will meet the demands of today’s contemporary living while ensuring added value should you decide to sell in the future.
Garry can prepare a floor plan of your existing building as a basis for bringing your ideas to fruition. He is an expert at maximizing small spaces, extending larger spaces and changing existing spaces altogether.
Whether you want to convert a garage, update your kitchen or add on a whole new room, Garry will make that happen. His meticulous drawings are prepared with enough detail to meet BC Building Code regulations and obtain a building permit. Do it right the first time. Do it with Village design & drafting!
You love to entertain outdoors but your backyard looks more like something out of "Home Mechanics" than "House Beautiful". Perhaps your new home looks great...but now you are ready for that gorgeous garden. Before Garry Bentham develops your landscape design, he meets with you and gets to know you and your needs. Do you have children? Do you love to cook outdoors, or prefer a quiet meditation space, or a vegetable garden?
- integration of landscape design with water feature
Once Garry gets to know you, he will prepare a design proposal taking into consideration everything from privacy requirements to maintenance levels and, of course, the all important budget. When you have determined your budget, he will design your project to stay within those confines. You will have every opportunity to ‘fine tune’ the design before Garry produces the finished drawing.
Village design & drafting services vary depending upon the needs of our clients. For the DIY (do it yourselfer), a custom design is all they need, while some may require a little more assistance. Garry's clients appreciate his flexibility. He can obtain prices from valued contractors and prepare a preliminary construction estimate for you; Garry is also available for onsite consulting during construction.
Garry offers a one hour free consultation to all of his clients in order to determine their landscape needs and budgets. Give Garry a call today to learn how he can work with you to create your dream space.
Due to his broad-based design experience, Garry philosophizes that exterior design should reflect the function of the business within.
- Industrial property design with residential suites over commercial
- A portable coffee kiosk with removable roof for easy transport
- An old 5 acre gravel pit was redesigned as a new concrete manufacturing plant for ABC Concrete
- Renovation design included a new office, washrooms, change rooms & reception area
Building design on commercially zoned land requires careful research of both zoning and certificate of title. Combined, they provide the basis for maximum land use and other site influences.
For the past five years, Garry has participated as a judge for the Vancouver Island Real Estate Board Commercial Building Awards.